The Archive, with its notable documentary heritage, is the place where the historical memory of this glorious Institute resides, which for over four centuries has carried out its welfare and beneficial activity for the neediest classes of Naples.
Currently the Historical Archive is preserved in 5 rooms and occupies over 400 linear meters of documentary material arranged in series and subseries also known as “Categories” and “Columns”.
The material is composed of various correspondence from the foundation to today; however, thanks to the presence of various private archives, which arrived during these four centuries thanks to numerous donations, many documents dating back to the 14th century are preserved.
The documents in our archive tell the story of the Pio Monte della Misericordia which carried out in Naples which was the capital of a great kingdom.
A real “cultural hub” has been under construction for years, also through the acquisition of private archives.
In 2009, the “ d’Aquino di Caramanico ” archive was donated with its rich library of over 12,000 volumes. Among the over 200 parchments this collection includes the Bull of Pope Pius V dated 12 April 1567 with which Saint Thomas Aquinas was proclaimed Doctor of the Church.
The latest acquisitions are the “ Caracciolo di Melissano ” archive and library whose correspondence narrates the history of this important branch of the Caracciolo Pisquizi with documents starting from the 15th century and the “ Marulli d’Ascoli ” archive, a precious documentary fund which narrates the history of this important family and its fiefdom with documents from the 16th to the 19th century.
Thanks to European and regional funds, the Pio Monte della Misericordia projects its correspondence into the future: at the moment the entire archive series dedicated to the “Governo del Monte”, consisting of over 300 registers, has been digitized and published online which , together with the archive inventory, can be consulted on the website http://www.polodigitalenapoli.it/
The Pio Monte della Misericordia Library has approximately 17,000 volumes. It was formed thanks to rare acquisitions and some testamentary donations received particularly in the 19th and 20th centuries.
In June 2015, the cataloging began, which is still ongoing, with the membership of the SBN Polo of Naples.
Its heritage consists mainly of texts on history, southern studies, heraldry, art history and is divided into three collections.
Added to these are numerous printed editions of internal documents, which pertain to the institutional activities of Pio Monte.
A section, of particular interest, and the subject of a digitalisation program created with regional tenders, is dedicated to the medical-surgical statistics of the sick treated with the thermo-mineral waters of Gurgitello, in the Pio Monte della Misericordia hospice in Casamicciola: reports annuals from 1854 to 1911 from which the beneficial effects of the hospice’s waters emerge. Also of note is the «Giornale del Regno delle Due Sicilie», with complete years from 1831 to 1886, almost all of which are also digitalised.
Count Alessandro R. d’Aquino of Caramanico, who held numerous institutional positions, was among the first honorary archive inspectors appointed by the Ministry for Cultural Heritage and Activities; throughout his life he collected numerous rare books and entire collections, funds and archives of important historical value, texts on heraldry and nobility, which constitute an authentic rarity.
The valuable library of over 12,000 volumes (ranging from 1548 to 2009) and the archive, with Decree no. 5/2017 of the MIBACT have been declared, by the Archival and Bibliographic Superintendency of Campania, of particular historical interest.